custom search

live forex charts

powered by Forex Goer

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stops and Limits

A STOP is placed so that you don't lose too much money. For example, if I
bought EUR/USD at 1.1445, I would start losing money if it started moving down.
So, I might set a STOP at 1.1425 -- meaning, if the currency drops to that level, the
system AUTOMATICALLY exits the trade. I'm out 20 pips, but that's a lot better
than being out 40 pips if it starts tanking really fast (and this happens all the time, as
you have seen).
A LIMIT works the same way, only for gains. If I set my limit to 1.1535 on that
same trade, then later in the day (or the hour), when the currency moves up to 1.1535,
the system AUTOMATICALLY exits the trade, and I make money. This happens
whether I'm still at the computer, or down the street, or dead. THIS IS THE ONLY
WAY TO TRADE IF YOU’RE NOT GOING TO BE PRESENT TO WATCH
THE TRADE.
My system for trading relies heavily on three things:
1. Technical analysis - a ½ hour, 3 hour, daily, weekly, and monthly chart.
2. STOPS and LIMITS.
3. 10-pip goal every day. This requires DISCIPLINE.
If you started with $10,000 on January 1st, and earned 10 pips per day, and only
traded 17 days of the month, then you would end the year 2,000 pips UP, and with
about $130,000. For a spreadsheet that details this system, write me at
rob@robbooker.com.
If you continued the next year with 10-pips per day, the next year you would be
making between $10,000 and $17,000 per month trading (depending on your risk
tolerance). Can you do this? Absolutely. Can you do this today? Maybe, maybe
not. You have to dedicate yourself 100% to learning how to trade intelligently.

No comments:

adsense links

Forex Chart - GBP/USD | Forex-Toolbar.Com